Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tigers name Phil Nevin Triple-A manager

By Matt Harding
In Play on Facebook

Phil Nevin, the first overall pick in the 1992 Draft, managed at Double-A Erie this past season. He now will take the reigns of the Tiger's Triple-A affiliate, the Toledo Mud Hens. Nevin, during his Major League career,
played for the Houston Astros, Detroit Tigers, Anaheim Angels, San Diego Padres, Texas Rangers, Chicago Cubs, and Minnesota Twins.

Thursday, Nevin had the following to say:

"I've kind of seen all angles from the position-player side. I was a first overall pick, top prospect, came into the big leagues and I had some struggles, ended up being a utility player, was sent back down, learned how to catch, came back up and I got another opportunity to play and had some good years as a player. Had a chance to go to the All-Star Game and go to the playoffs, and then I went back into kind of a utility role.

"So I've seen kind of all sides of it, whether it's a utility guy or the superstar, so to speak. I don't know, you can't really say what makes a good manager. Some people say catchers do. I've seen a little bit of all of them."

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.