Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tigers Look to Sweep Indians with Ace on the Mound

By Matt Harding
In Play on Facebook


The Detroit Tigers looked to sweep the Cleveland Indians with their ace Justin Verlander on the hill. Did they?

With an outpour of offense, the Tigers would end up winning the game. Jhonny Peralta's 2-run single against his former squad occurred in the very first inning after the Tribe intentionally walked Brennan Boesch.

The Indians never did recover after the three-run first, even though they had jumped ahead early with a solo dinger off the bat of Shin-Soo Choo.

With four hits off the bat of Will Rhymes, and the help of Verlander, the Tigers swept the Indians, winning game three in the series 8-1.

In Play! Magazine spoke with Justin Verlander and Gerald Laird after the game. Here's what they had to say:
“That’s something that you just gotta tip your cap [to]. I made a good pitch and he hit it. I threw it right where I wanted and he got good wood on it.” -Justin Verlander talking about giving up the only Indian’s run of the game, a home run by Shin-Soo Choo

“We have a lot of games left and I know we gotta win a lot of games out of the last 40, but, you never know. That’s why it’s baseball and you play 162 games.” -Gerald Laird on the Tiger’s chances of getting to the playoffs

Jim Leyland and Will Rhymes spoke to reporters after the game and had this to say:

“It’s unbelievable. I looked at the crowd today and I told Gene Lamont, ‘Hey Gene. Look at this crowd, it’s unbelievable.’ I know we’ve disappointed them recently, but you just can’t say enough about it. It was a beautiful day, a nice win, and you looked up to see all of the people in the seats…It’s a wonderful, wonderful thing.” -Jim Leyland on the Tigers surpassing two million fans this season

“I never really settled in because I felt like my time was gonna be up shortly. This time I just decided I’m here [and] I’m just gonna try and have fun. It was good to go down to Triple-A and get that edge back. I wanted to get back up here, but I just [had] to get that comfort level back.”-Will Rhymes, after a four hit day, on his last stint in the majors



Brandon Inge, who's two hits away from a career 1,000
Photo by Matt Harding / In Play! Magazine


Will Rhymes had a career-high 4-hit day Photo by Matt Harding / In Play! Magazine

1 comment:

  1. Nice article! I'm really glad their starting to do well again, and I'm so excited for Inge to get his 1,000 hits! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.